Highlights and Recommendations
- Extra-Thick Pressure Relief: At 12 inches, you get more than enough support and lots of comfort from the top layer.
- Eco-Friendly Materials: Zinus uses as many natural ingredients as possible, so you don’t have to worry about the rashes or redness that some memory foam mattresses can cause. These natural ingredients in the Ultima can help minimize pungent odors typically found in memory foam mattresses. Additionally, the mattress contains activated charcoal, which traps body odors so that they don’t collect over time.
- Ten-Year Limited Warranty: Zinus offers one of the best warranties in the memory foam industry. If you experience any problems with the construction or materials within 10 years of purchase, you can get reimbursed.
Zinus was founded in 2004, and quickly rose to popularity because their mattresses were designed to be shipped, which was practically revolutionary 16 years ago.
One of the core founding concepts of Zinus mattresses is that they are made with eco-friendly materials. Because original blends of memory foam included toxic chemicals, they were terrible for the environment. Although these mattresses are not 100% biodegradable, they utilize natural ingredients, like green tea and olive oil.
Today, we’ll be breaking down the Zinus 12 Inch Ultima Memory Foam Mattress, which is one of the best-selling mattresses the company offers.
The 12 inch has a 3-inch top layer of standard pressure-relieving memory foam, another 3- inch layer of foam made with cooling open-air cells and a support 6-inch bottom layer made with high-density cells. The differences between the profiles lay, basically, in the thickness of the three layers (except the 6 inch, which doesn’t come with the middle layer).
Zinus recommends this mattress for “for stomach sleepers and petite to average-weight sleepers”. We find this needs to be more precise since only light weight stomach sleepers (less than 130 lbs) and lighter average sleepers (lower range of 130 to 230 lbs) will feel best on a softer-than-average mattress. For heavier average sleepers, a softer mattress is recommended mostly for side sleeping only. Sleepers heavier than 230 lbs should look at a firmer mattress.
Check out our article here to better understand the relation between mattress firmness level and sleeping position.
Zinus has 7 unique size options for its beds, including Narrow Twin, Standard Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and California King. The 6-inch Ultima is the only version that comes in a Narrow Twin and the 12-inch, as a California King.
- Light Weight Sleepers: A soft to medium-soft mattress is best for light weight and petite sleepers in all sleeping positions.
- Average Weight Side Sleepers: For average weight sleepers it may be too soft for stomach, back or combination sleeping, but it works fine for side sleepers.
- Budget-Friendly Sleepers: Although this particular model is on the higher end of Zinus’ price spectrum, it falls well below what you could pay for a high-end mattress elsewhere. Even better, you don’t need a box spring with this bed because it is thick enough to work without it and you get a 10-year limited warranty, meaning that you don’t have to buy a replacement anytime soon.
- Eco-Conscious Sleepers: You can rest easy knowing that it doesn’t pollute as much as other models. If environmentally friendly mattresses are important to you, please make sure to check our article on bamboo mattresses.
NOT RECOMMENDED FOR
- Hot Sleepers: Yes, this mattress does have air-cooling foam in the middle, but not on top. If you tend to sleep hot, maybe a gel-top model would be a better choice for you. If you are a hot sleeper, another alternative would be a thin mattress.
- Heavier Sleepers: This is not the best mattress for sleepers heavier than 230 lbs, who need more firmness for all sleeping positions.
- Active Sleepers: If you shift positions a lot while sleeping, memory foam’s cradling properties can make turning yourself more challenging. That being said, if you toss and turn because you can’t get comfortable, the Ultima may be able to remedy that problem.
Zinus Ultima Memory Foam Mattress Review
Design and Materials
Poly Jacquard Covering – This soft material encases the mattress and feels smooth against your skin.
Conforming Memory Foam (3 Inches) – The top layer is a standard conforming memory foam partially made with green tea and activated charcoal. The primary benefit of this foam is that it relieves pressure points.
Airflow-Enhancing Comfort Foam (3 Inches) –Because these kinds of beds can sleep hot, Zinus has provided open-cell foam in the center of the Ultima. This way, air can move through more easily, wicking heat away from your body.
High-Density Support Foam (6 Inches) – The bottom layer is made of a much thicker material than the top 2 sections. This foam is designed to better retain its shape so that you don’t sink too far while sleeping.
Zinus has infused the memory foam with green tea extracts and charcoal. This bed is also CertiPUR-US certified, which means that it is free of all toxic chemicals.
Many memory foam mattresses can have a strong, off-putting smell when they are first unwrapped. Because the Ultima has green tea and charcoal inside, it does not have an intense aroma. Some users have reported a brief odor, but it quickly dissipates.
Because the top layer is standard memory foam, this mattress can sleep hot for some users. Although the middle layer is designed to allow air to flow through, it is too far down to be noticeable. Overall, this mattress is better than most but not as good as gel-cooled or open-cell materials.
Responsiveness and Pressure Relief
The 12-inch version of the Ultima is excellent at relieving pressure points through body contouring because it has the thick 3 inch top layer. At the same time, the high-density bottom layer provides the necessary support to prevent excessive sinking.
This mattress has the right balance for light weight and petite sleepers (130 lbs or less), hard enough for stomach and back sleeping, yet not so hard for side sleeping.
For average weight sleepers (130-230 lbs), the 3 inch memory foam top layer helps with proper spinal alignment and pressure relief, and the 6 inch base layer provides the necessary support to avoid too much sinkage.
Heavy weight sleepers should look for a firmer mattress as even for side sleeping this mattress is a bit too soft for them.
As with other memory foam mattresses, the Ultima doesn’t transfer motion too much. However, because you can sink down, you have to move more to shift positions at night. When talking about noise, this is a soft mattress that doesn’t squeak or moan when you move.
Zinus mattresses all have decent edge support, meaning that you don’t have to worry about falling off if you’re too close. Even better, the edge retains its shape longer and doesn’t experience as much long-term compression as the center of the bed.
Having sex on memory foam can be challenging for some couples, regardless of the specific model used. That being said, as long as you are not in one position for too long, you shouldn’t have too many problems with the Ultima. Be aware, however, that it can get relatively hot. Thankfully, the activated charcoal will trap odors, so they don’t absorb into the foam.
Overall, the most significant concern with a memory foam mattress like the Ultima is compression. This mattress will last for years, but you will need to rotate it regularly to avoid experiencing substantial sinking. Another point to consider is that the charcoal inside will eventually get oversaturated, so odors can start to build up later.
The Zinus Ultima comes with a 10-year limited warranty. As with most warranties, it protects against defects or problems from the manufacturer. Any damage that comes from ordinary wear and tear is not covered. For example, compression will not qualify for reimbursement or replacement.
Sleep Trial Period
According to the website, all Zinus products come with a 100-day sleep trial. However, if you purchase through an affiliate, this period may or may not be honored.
For example, Amazon offers a standard 30-night sleep trial for all beds, including Zinus. Zinus will refund your mattress if you are not satisfied for any reason. According to most users, the company is easy to work with if this does happen.
The Zinus Ultima is a mid-range product, depending on the size and thickness you get. The 12-inch version is much more affordable than other high-end mattresses, but you can save more by buying the 10 or 8-inch model instead.
In most cases, users have reported an active and responsive support team. If you have any questions about the mattress, warranty, or sleep period, you can contact the company via phone, email, or live chat. Many users reported prompt replies and easy-going representatives. We found very few complaints that indicated the support team was hard to reach or unreliable.
Alternatives to the Zinus Ultima Comfort Mattress
Zinus Cooling Green Tea Gel Memory Foam
One of the top complaints about memory foam mattresses is that they can sleep hot because the material is not as breathable as cotton or coil models.
To help alleviate this issue, Zinus offers a gel memory foam mattress. The bottom layer is the same as you would find in the Ultima, but it has a thin layer of gel on top. The gel absorbs your body heat and disperses it more efficiently than foam so that you can sleep comfortably all night long. So, if you’re worried that the Ultima might be too hot for you, this model may be a better choice.
Zinus Pressure-Relief Cloud Memory Foam
A significant reason why memory foam beds have become so widespread is that they contour to your body’s shape. While coils can be too rigid, foam cushions your pressure points so that you don’t wake up sore the next morning.
This Zinus mattress is designed to alleviate pressure on your body without letting you sink in too far. Over time, some beds can compress and lose their resilience, but this bed has thicker foam to make it last longer. This mattress is the closest thing to the Ultima, thanks to its 12-inch thickness. However, rather than coming with a knitted Jacquard covering, this bed has a two-inch quilted top, making it smoother and more comfortable against your skin.
Zinus iCoil Hybrid Mattress
Although coils can be uncomfortable in older beds, they do help the mattress retain its shape better. Zinus offers a hybridized version that utilizes both coils and memory foam so that you get the best of both worlds.
To alleviate any pressure caused by the coils, each one is wrapped in a foam casing. This design also ensures that they don’t break and start poking out. Zinus’ iCoil beds also come with a top layer of cooling gel. So, if you’re worried about not getting enough support and you sleep hot, the iCoil might be the best option overall.
FAQs About the Zinus Ultima
We’ve covered a lot of information about this mattress so far, but we understand that you may still have some questions. This section will break down many of the most common questions or issues customers have with the Ultima and the Zinus brand.
What’s the difference between the Ultima and the Zinus Sleep Master Ultima Comfort Memory Foam 8 Inch Mattress?
As far as we can tell, there is no difference. Sleep Master is not an official name for any of Zinus’ current mattresses, although some older reviews refer to this bed as a “sleep master.”
Is there a difference between the Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam vs. green tea mattresses?
Although this model is infused with green tea, it is not technically considered a “green tea” mattress. Zinus makes the distinction on its website. As a rule, green tea beds sleep cooler than this one.
Does the Ultima smell when you unpack it?
According to most users, any odor dissipates almost immediately. However, some reviews mentioned a lingering smell that took days or weeks to disappear. If you have a sensitive nose, this might be an issue.
Are Zinus mattresses made in the U.S.?
Only one of their mattress models, the 10-inch gel memory foam, is made in the States. All others are manufactured in China.
Does the CertiPUR-US certification matter?
Yes, it does. According to the organization, this certification means that the mattress materials are free of the following ingredients:
- Ozone Depleters: Manufacturers do not produce chemicals that could erode the Earth’s ozone layer.
- Toxic Flame Retardants: Although these materials did prevent accidental fires, they were deemed unhealthy by the EPA in 2005. The technical terms for these chemicals are PBDE, TDCPP, or TCEP.
- Heavy Metals: No toxic metals (i.e., mercury) are used during production.
- Formaldehyde: Early memory foam mattresses used to have this chemical, which is partly why they smelled so bad.
- Phthalates: These chemicals were banned in 2009 because of their toxicity to children.
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs): This term refers to indoor pollutants, which can irritate the lungs and potentially cause respiratory illnesses.
Should I use a box spring with my Zinus mattress?
If you purchase the 12-inch model, you shouldn’t need a box spring. However, thinner variations can offer less support, so you might want one.
Can I flip my Zinus mattress?
You can rotate it, but we don’t recommend flipping it over since the bottom layer is high-density foam. Rotating the mattress helps alleviate compression problems.
Getting a good night’s sleep is always a priority. With a mattress like the Zinus Ultima, you can fall asleep faster and get more rest. This bed is excellent for sleeping because it alleviates pressure points, has excellent support, so you don’t sink too far, and sleeps cooler than other memory foam models. If you’re ready to buy the Ultima, click here.